Wednesday, May 8, 2013

First Craft Fair. Ever.

Well hello bloggity bloggers and blogettes! I guess if you are reading this blog, you might not technically be a blogger, but a blog reader. Ohwell. Anyways, in true Jaime fashion, I thought that I could do anything and everything, and go to every event without any regard for time, but I just can't! Meaning: I am sorry that I have had no time to blog these past few weeks. I was preparing for my first ever craft fair!

Being the type A personality that I am, doing my first craft fair was nerve wrecking. For some reason, the closer it got to the event, the more merchandise I thought I needed. Trust me, I did not need a lot, because it was a small fair. I live on a Marine Corps Base, in a very small town, and it was in the community center on base. There were about 15-20 other vendors. I guess it was good for a first time fair. Here's my booth.
One fun thing I enjoyed doing was handing out little goodies to all the kids that passed by. It made everyone stop by my booth. Wink wink.


I made (what I call) crayon roll-ups and basically those only sold to friends (Thanks to all who visited!). It was hard to decide about pricing, and I didn't really have time to look around at the rest of the crafters before the fair started. I realized about half way through, that another table was selling these at a MUCH lower price. So I slashed prices...That didn't really help either. I'll just have to try again.

These are women's half aprons. They did not sell at all. The funny thing was that I stayed up late the night prior making Marine Corps aprons because I thought that they would sell. Who knows! So many factors.




Kid's half aprons.



Kids whole aprons. I sold a few of these, but mainly in the "Cars" print. Anything "Cars" print went like hotcakes.




Fabric wreath.

Fabric wreathes and plush owls. The owls sold really well. Kids just ate them up and everyone else thought they were cute. Although, one kid was swinging his around by the feet, and it made me question my sewing skills. I was so afraid that foot was going to fall off. Haha.




All in all, the fair went well. I sold some things, and even after buying a few things from other vendors, I ended up with a decent profit. The poor lady next to me had baked goods, and she barely sold anything. She ended up giving a lot of it away. There really wasn't a lot of shoppers there. I am not sure if it was the location, the weather, or the advertising, but I am hoping for more shoppers during the next fair.

The crafts that I chose to make were rather easy, and I am sure I will post how to do them in the near future. I always thought that the things I made were too easy and if most people can make them, why buy them? But my friend Jenni says that there are plenty of people out there that have no interest in doing crafts, so they are willing to buy them. So true. Not everyone sees a craft and says "I can do that myself." (Yes, I walk around craft fairs looking for gift ideas, sewing ideas for my daughter, and easy decor.) Anyways, I think that this may be something I do again. We will see!

Thanks again for everyone's support! A truly enjoyable experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment